Sunday, October 21, 2007

chapter twenty six

Chapter twenty six
word count: 465


Bud backed away then as though the gesture embarrassed him. A troubled frown crossed his face as he studied the other man.

"Look, Ren. I know your family is going to be on the warpath over this..."

"I know. I know...I'll keep them at bay. I want to see justice served just as much as you do."

Ha! Easier said than done. Later, he stood outside Malleo's Ristorante contemplating long and hard before finally opening the door and entering. Plush surroundings wrapped around him and pulled him in. It was warm, with soft light emanating from candles, one lit on each table, and tiny lamps along the walls. Thick red carpets felt spongy underfoot and huge Renaissance paintings in massive gilded frames peppered the walls against dark printed wallpaper. The dining hall swallowed him up, like a baby in the womb.

"Hey! Sergeant Ren!" The pimply faced waitress shot him a smile. His job was a joke in the family. One of theirs, a cop! His waitress cousin obviously enjoyed the humor.

"Uncle Frank in?"

"In the back."

He nodded and started back, face grave with thoughts of the business at hand. His uncle's office door lay ajar. The big man sat at a massive oak desk, pen in hand, going over accounting pages, checking off items as he went.

"Ren! Good to see you!" he said, hearing Ren's footstep and looking up.

"Uncle Frank!" The men hugged and Ren took a seat in a shiny leather chair facing his uncle. "I've got some bad news." He squirmed making the leather squeak.

"Ya look like hell! What's happening!"

"Uncle Frank, Ruben is dead."

"What!" The older man jumped out of the chair. "How?"

"Now, Uncle Frank. Take it easy and let me explain...He got himself killed." Uncle Frank lurched forward, but Ren held him back. "Now, listen," he said. "Let me handle this. I can bring his killer to 'justice.'"

"To hell you can! What are you saying? Pull the bastard into the court system and wait months to see him fucking get parole? Who did this? The sonofabitch needs to die!"

"Uncle Frank, I can handle this. Me and Ricco, we're handling it." Ren steadied the older man and led him back to his chair, easing him down. "Ruben was killed by a lunatic who beat the shit out of him and left him on the street. I don't think the guy even knew what he was doing. Lashed out at the closest thing within reach. There's not much satisfaction in killing someone who doesn't even know why."

Uncle Frank jumped out of the chair again. "I don't care! Who did this? Who is the sonofabitch who killed Ruben? You think I can't find out! I'll get the bastard yet! Now get outta here!”

No comments: